A Certified B Corporation Bakery
In 2018, Grand Central Bakery became B Corp certified. B Corp certification is to sustainable business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or LEED certification is to Green buildings. This designation reflects the values on which our company was founded and our operating philosophy today. We became a B Corp because we believe that our business practices can positively impact our community, and that aligning our business with a greater good is good business. The B Corp Impact Assessment, done every three years, reflects not only what we currently do, but applies rigor to and accountability for our mission. It serves as a road map to be the best business we can be. Read a letter from our CEO about our B Corp Certification.
Our recipe for making a difference:
- 59 percent of expenditures are with independently owned and local vendors;
- All 384 employees are paid for 8 hours of community time per year;
- 50 percent of management team are women; advancement opportunities are encouraged for all;
- Annual grants and partnerships with local nonprofits working on environmental issues, immigrant rights and workplace equality;
- Employees direct a portion of year-end donations to local non-profit organizations; and
- We are leaders in food waste reduction and set benchmarks and goals for improvement.