To Our Customers:
I am pleased to announce that Grand Central Bakery is a Certified B Corporation – and we’re proud to be the first B Corp-certified bakery in the Northwest!
For nearly 30 years, we have dedicated ourselves to serving delicious food made from authentic, well-raised ingredients, to creating welcoming places for customers, and to taking care of our employees and our community. Now we have outside validation of our accomplishments. Better still, we have a road map for improving on the work we’ve already done.
B Corps use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. As a certified B Corp, we’re part of a movement of more than 2,600 global companies that meet high standards of social and environmental transparency, accountability, and performance. Together, we’re redefining success in business.
With our B Corp certification, we join like-minded Northwest companies and friends, such as Nossa Familia Coffee and B-Line Sustainable Delivery, A & R Solar, New Seasons Market and Hopworks Urban Brewery, as well as larger corporations like Patagonia and Kleen Kanteen, all of which are dedicated to leading with a purpose.
Like these companies, we completed a rigorous assessment and audit of our governance, employment, community and environmental practices—including things like what we spend on local products, how many employees have health insurance, and how much we compost. Our B Corp certification both documents how we’re living our mission today and serves as a road map to be the best business we can be.
Some areas where we excel:
- 59 percent of expenditures are with independently owned and local vendors
- All 384 employees are paid for 8 hours of community time per year
- 50 percent of management team are women; advancement opportunities are encouraged for all
- Annual grants and partnerships with local nonprofits working on environmental issues, immigrant rights and workplace equality
- Employees direct a portion of year-end donations to local non-profit organizations
- We are leaders in food waste reduction and set benchmarks and goals for improvement
As we complete the B Corp Impact Assessment every three years, we will build on these are other areas of social and environmental performance. So while we take a moment to celebrate this milestone, we know that our B Corp status will guide us to even better business practices that improve the communities we are a part of.
We hope we can inspire other businesses to become part of this movement. Thank you for supporting the work we do. We appreciate your business. Together, we can give rise to a better world.
– Claire Randall, Grand Central Bakery CEO